Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A tough day

We started launching around noon, but it was very hard to catch the first lift. The day finally started to kick around 2pm. I scratched ridges on the west side of King Mountain for a long time before finally finding something just over the airfield. After climbing to 13,000 ft, first I went north, and turned Borah Peak. When I turned it, I was barely above the ridge, and spotted an American flag on the very top of the ridge. Then I headed south, came back to King Mountain, and saw some clouds towards Big Southern Butte, so I decided to go there. On my way, I flew over semi-restricted area which reportedly has a factory for nuclear power generator for submarines. The world's first nuclear reactor is also in the same area, I heard. After turning Big Southern Butte, I momentarily lost glide to King Mountain, but worked out convergence lift, and came back to King Mountain with some extra altitude. I used it to climb up again over King, ventured out to west a bit, and landed after flygint 4.5 hours. The day was mostly blue. There were some Cu's but they were cycling so quickly that, by the time they formed, it was too late to go there.

After most people landed, we learned that a pilot and his glider did not come back to the airport as planned. John initiated search and rescue effort with multiple agencies.

At night, we all went to Sissy's Ram's Horn restaurant, and enjoyed baby back rib dinner.

Pilot meeting in the morning

Big Lost River

Big Southern Butte



No comments: